Pages

Friday 26 August 2016

Emerald Lake - Yoho National Park

August 3, 2016 - Our first stop in Yoho National Park: Emerald Lake. The most obvious thing about the lake is the striking turquoise, dare I say emerald, waters. Although the colour of the water was interesting, I confess I was more interested in the surrounding mountains. You might say I was more interested in the frame than the painting. The camera did not do the waters justice but I've done my best to portray the same feelings I had while there.
There was no uniform emotion of the place. The tourists--excited crowds of Asians and happy, blonde northern Europeans--contrasted sharply with the tranquility of the lake. It was remarkably still, in spite of the bustle of boaters on its surface. Like an old, sleepy cat harassed by the birds, it seemed too cold and still to react to the minuscule interruptions. I was half afraid for the boaters, to be on something so ancient and unmoved, and also indignant for the lake, as if it was an old king being treated like a zoo exhibit. In any case, the evergreen trees seemed to have it right, standing on the bank in reverent silence. I followed suit until my family implored me to take some photographs.
A small bay near the lodge on the lake was more attractive to me than the lake itself. It seemed slightly more lively and, more importantly, no boats.

A hard-earned picture of the lake at rare moment absent of boats. The water is a lot more vibrant than that in the bay.


I guess I've been hating on the boaters but, of course, there's nothing wrong some family time on the water. Speaking of families, here's mine, left to right: myself, Sarah, Dad and Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful pictures. Thanks for the memories, son. It was incredible. xox

    ReplyDelete